View Single Post
Old August 11, 2009, 11:30 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritro
I knew it was a matter of time before someone blew into this thread with this sort of post.

No one, certainly not me, is even entertaining the thought that he's going to turn out to be as great as Sobers or Imran.

All it was intended to be was a fun statistical exercise and it was one which has turned out to be pretty revealing. I certainly didn't realise his record was so evenly matched with the greats until I did, but as I said, I'm not making any hypotheses about the rest of his career that he's unlikely to live up to.

And any comparisions between the hysteria surrounding Shakib and that which surrounded Ashraful is so wide of the mark as to be unworthy of response.
Where exactly does the fun lie in when you are making a statistical comparison of a toddler (in terms of cricket played) to the veterans ? And I do not see any "wide gap" between the hysteria surrounding Shakib and Ashrafool as most of the supporters here think that Shakib is the ONLY solution to all the BD problems (...like they thought back in 2005 for Ash).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
You're wrong mate!

He has the potential to become a top bracket player and did more than enough to show his promise. 5 five-fors in 14 Test matches is definitely something signficant. He has to earn those wickets against tough oppositions like SA, Sri Lanka and New Zealand. I am not fully convinced about his Test batting skill, but as a bowler he is one of the best who are operating currently.
When did I deny the fact that Shakib is a fine talent and has the utmost talent to enter into the top most bracket BUT all I am saying is let him prove more as the time passes by for you to make any comparison b/w him and the past legends.