View Single Post
Old February 18, 2014, 12:54 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Rubel and Al Amin both did good. No room for mashrafee unless you want 3rd FB

If Musfiq cannot do WK, he need to take rest. No point bringing back an injured player too early. He is the main culprit why we failed to cross the target even when Momin and Shamus made it so eary target (RR wise as well as run wise). And even he plays, he shoudn't play at #4. He just wasted the game with dot balls after dot balls and maded a easy target harder at the end. He played like a TEST match.

I wuuldn't take any risk with Anmaul starting. With his footwork he will most likely fail again as an opener. If fully fit Rahim plays, Anamul is not needed. If Rahim doesn't play, only then Anamul can play and bat lower order when we may need quick runs.

Naeem, if selected, need to bat top of the order, i.e. #4.

I would drop Gazi and rather take Mashrafee and use Nasir for few remaining overs (if MAshrafee is not used for full 10 overs).
When fully fit, Mashrafee is still our best FB IMO (and he can bat a bit which is an added bonus). But if he isn't fully fit, it doesn't matter to me which two of Mashrafee, Rubel and Al Amin start.

I'm wary of making too many changes from one game to the next, but I agree, I also prefer Naeem at 4 and Mushfiq at 6 in the long run. 5th seems to be the best position for Sakib, so he should remain there. I don't rate Mushfiq as an ODI batsman. His average speaks for itself....Unless there's a positive trend and/or his average from the past three years is better at 30+. (Off-topic: He's decent as a captain IMO. His off-the-field captaincy is very good, on the field is OK at best. He needs to be less defensive, take more risks, and have the courage and be open to make decisions on the field that go against the strategy the team mgmt laid out for him. All in all, I think he's the best we can do regarding captaincy ATM.)

His SR was fine though in the last game since the RRR was only ~3. He only screwed up in the last ball with extremely poor shot selection when there was no need to hit out or take any risks. Out of all the missed catches and poor shot selections that resulted in outs, Mushfiq's pass to Sangakkara was arguably the worst IMO.