View Single Post
Old March 13, 2011, 02:48 AM
Banned

BDFlag Shafiul: Wearing this jersey is the biggest thing in my life

Wearing this jersey is the biggest thing in my life: Shafiul

At 21, Shafiul Islam has earned the kind of recognition in his country most cricketers only dream of. His four wickets only a couple of weeks ago helped Bangladesh clinch a sensational win against Ireland; on Friday, he went one step ahead, his unbeaten 24 helping his team not only register only their second win against a much-stronger England but also keeping their chances of advancing to the knock-out round in the World Cup alive.

The boy from Bogra, who spent quite some time with the groundsmen at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium after the match, spoke to the The Indian Express a day later — on his team, his playing days and on bowling. Excerpts:

Did you think you could win it when you walked in against England, the team eight wickets down and with more than 50 runs required?

* We were hopeful of winning this game till the end; as long as I and Mohammad Mahmudullah were batting, we just told each other to stay in the middle as long as possible. We were eyeing to play full 50 overs because we had plenty of balls left and we knew we could win if we remained on the field. The Swann over (which went for 16 runs) gave us the momentum, it put us within sight of winning.

How did you celebrate after the victory?

* It wasn’t anything wild. I just prayed and thanked Allah for this moment; it isn’t something common in our lives. The win was more important for us in the context of our recent performances.

Were you disappointed with not getting the Man of the Match?

* I don’t mind; it’s ok, what’s more important is to win. Man of the Match is just a tag.

Are you enjoying the recent fame?

* It feels nice when people notice you but I know it will not last forever. It’s better to stay grounded and be consistent. In the immediate context, it’s important we continue to carry the momentum ahead.

Tell us something about how it all started.

* It wasn’t easy. I come from Bogra, which is not really famous for producing cricketers. I was an all-rounder and went all around to play matches. A group of my friends told me about a talent hunt in Pink City and were going there, so I tagged along; they weren’t selected, I was. Later, I played for Brothers Club in Dhaka, sharing a small room and carrying my own pillow and bedsheet. Those were tough times but the club got me noticed. I played in tournaments that helped me earn about 1000 taka. I was selected for Rajshahi Division which helped me break into the national squad.

Tell us about your family.

* My father runs a small grocery shop. He never stopped me from playing or asked me to assist in his shop. I remember playing tape-ball cricket wearing a fake Bangladesh shirt back then, never expecting I would actually be wearing the real one some day. Wearing this green jersey is the biggest thing for me.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/we...afiul/761695/0