View Single Post
Old June 11, 2006, 06:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

Kaji ruled out of Australia match
From correspondents in Bonn, Germany
June 11, 2006

JAPAN coach Zico has ruled out injured first-choice right winger Akira Kaji from the Asian champion's World Cup opener against Australia on Monday.

But the 26-year-old Osaka Gamba star may be ready for Japan's second match against 1998 semi-finalist Croatia on June 18.

"Kaji is in the process of improving," Zico said after training today before Japan left Bonn for Kaiserslautern, where it plays Australia.

"I think he can make it on the 18th, barring any more problems."

Kaji, who leads Japan's wing attacks with Brazilian-born left-winger Alessandro "Alex" Santos, hurt his right ankle when he was tackled from behind by Bastian Schweinsteiger in a 2-2 friendly draw against Germany 11 days ago.

Kaji, the member of Japan's injury-hit squad still unable to resume full team training, was seen jogging separately at today's training session.

"It still hurts when I make small steps and turns," Kaji said of the injury.

"But I can kick the ball without feeling any pain.

Zico also said that he expected Atsushi Yanagisawa, one of Japan's top strikers, to be fit for the match against the Socceroos.

Yanagisawa complained of pain in his right hamstring after playing in the Germany friendly.

His strike partner, Naohiro Takahara, also injured in the Germany match, in which he scored twice, has regained full fitness.

"Yanagisawa has cleared everything, expanding his regimen day by day," Zico said.

Agence France-Presse