View Single Post
Old January 13, 2004, 10:11 AM
Club Cricketer

Good to be here, thanks! That's interesting stuff about fighting over support for India or Pakistan.

I started to half-follow Bangladesh cricket when I went to Goa on holiday in 2002. I watched the second test against West Indies. I was really impressed by the 16 year old fast bowler who played there (is that who you mean?) and one of the young batsmen (Kapali or Asharuful) hammered 80 in no time.

Poverty must be a huge impediment to cricket's development in Bangladesh. The last few governments here have decided that Britain can't afford to maintain school playing fields and as a result of that state school cricket is virtually negligible. If a rich country decides this, then what must it be like trying to put together decent infrastructure for sport in a developing country.

The crowd at Dhaka on TV looked pretty quiet, not at all like the crowds at Indian grounds, but that could be for all sorts of reasons- high ticket prices perhaps. Chittagong couldn't have been better- not only was the ground full but so were the streets around the ground. What would happen if they won?