View Single Post
Old December 6, 2011, 01:59 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Nazimuddin has been doing well, but I'm not very hopeful. Basically, I'm not very hopeful about any player, prospective or current. What we saw in ODIs 1 and 2 were pathetic, but what we saw last night was disgusting (or whatever I saw of it - wasn't going to waste my brain cells following these morons throughout the night). This has been said many times by many a fan on many a cricket forum from many an armchair, but we will continue to fail unless we revamp our infrastructure at the grass roots level. School cricket needs to be made more competitive, we need more and better scouts paid by the BCB to hunt talent and bring them into national academies coached by well-paid, high profile foreign coaches (no Nannu/Tukku). We should play more OD matches in the NCL without foregoing the DPL and lengthen our NCL FC competition so that our reserves don't sit around for most of the year.

Look, I know a lot of people are talking about bringing in replacements from domestic cricket, but do we really think the outcome will be much different? Name one batsman in the national team who hasn't beaten the crap out of domestic bowlers in recent times. SN, Rahim, Tamim, Naeem and even Alok have all scored runs in either the NCL or the BCB cup. Yet they fail at the slightest hint of spin, pace or swing. I think this speaks volumes about the quality of not only the NCL but also our cricket in general.

These things need to be fixed from the roots and if we're lucky we'll start to see positive outcomes in a decade or so. In the short run, we can bring in Ash, Nazimuddin, Anamul, Asif or whoever one can think of, but in two years, we will be calling for their heads and I can't say we wouldn't have a good reason to. I'm not saying we should stick to failures, but I don't really see any hope of us doing well in the short run either.

PS: Law is an extremely ordinary batting coach. Siddons was better, but still not the solution. Regardless of how crappy Law is, though, what kind of brainless idiots forget what they were coached as recently as earlier this year and start acting like morons who've never seen a cricket bat let alone holding one let alone scoring runs with it?
I think this shows how well Jamie was respected by the players who tried to bat the way he suggested. It might be that the message is different or that the batsmen are being allowed to do something they want to do, without any comeback on them.

In my time with the team it was clear that self-belief and confidence was the key to helping the team win, which is why we spent so long on motivation and also getting them to play fearlessly (not recklessly).

Knowing how to win and then winning, is based on creating good habits. Sadly, with Bangladesh at this time, that has to be drilled into them. It is no good having underarm half volleys thrown at you in the nets as a batter and being in your comfort zone, and then wondering why as soon as it turns or swings, you get out.