View Single Post
Old October 3, 2011, 03:20 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

People yelling at Obama
People disappointed in Obama
People who bought into his rhetoric and voted for Obama

I've got a question, we all know about the 'evil' of the US and Israel - but why did Abu Mazen in his speech to the GA at no stage come out with this line...

"I come before you today as a Palestinian, not a muslim, not a christian, not an arab, but a Palestinian - though I and my people are all those things. I, as the representative of the Palestinian people and diaspora, state infront of the world, we are ready to recognize a Jewish Israeli state, here, now, today.... will Israel and the world do the same for one of the last stateless people on this earth?"

Think what a publicity coup that could have been....

We're all grown ups here, so we know reality isn't about fair, it's about what you can do to get what's yours, and in this case, Israel can live with the status-quo for another 50 years, a hell of a lot more than the Palestinians can. So why not appear contrite, why not be more accommodating that you would want to be ideally?

-Give up the calls for the Right to Return. That would render Israel extinct - yes, it's not fair on those refugees, but there is more chance of it snowing in Bangladesh than of that coming to fruition.

-Hurry up and get down to the nitty-gritty of the land exchanges, because while everyone sits and talks about the end game, Israel works everyday to change the reality on the ground to a fait accompli.

The Palestinians have messed this right up in the last decade by not pushing back against the perception this is a case of Islam vs the West, Islam vs Israel, Islam vs Judaism. This is about people, without a home, a nation, a future.

Notice how, Bibi started his speech with references to Islamic extremism....Israel and its supporters have worked the propaganda angle perfectly to change the dialogue, the focus.

Bibi the hawk came out of those speeches, looking like the moderate, the reasonable one, the good guy - the speech by Abu Mazen was one of the more empathic Own Goals I've seen in recent years, and I grew up watching Bangladeshi Politicians go to work