View Single Post
Old February 19, 2010, 07:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket...lum-apologises

Quote:
It wasn't a catch - McCullum appologises

Brendon McCullum has apologised to Shakib Al Hasan and admits his "catch" to dismiss the Bangladesh captain should not have been given out.

New Zealand wicketkeeper McCullum has had an eventful 50th test in Hamilton – scoring a test-best 185 before that effort was overshadowed by the controversial catch.

McCullum scooped up an edge when Shakib was on 87, within sight of a first test hundred.

Though his immediate reaction was that the ball had carried, after watching replays McCullum admitted it had bounced.

"It's a difficult one," McCullum said.

"At the moment that it came through, I guess your first instinct is that the ball carried. Straight away though I went to Dan [New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori] and I went to the umpires and said that I wasn't sure and it might be best if we check it with the television replays. The umpires were happy with it, they were adamant it carried so we did try and, I guess, seek all the resources, to try and make sure it was legitimate."

McCullum said wearing thick keeping gloves meant it was often hard to tell whether or not catches had carried.

"It was unfortunate the replays showed that it did bounce but I guess we tried to cover off what we could. With gloves on as well, it can be a little bit difficult. In those situations I guess you always try and make sure that you cover things off with the umpires and with all the footage that you do have. That was what we tried to do I guess."

Umpires Rod Tucker and Rudi Koertzen held a discussion before, eventually, Shakib's dismissal was confirmed.

Shakib did not use the referral system to challenge his dismissal.

"In the end, it probably wasn't the right decision, for him to be given out but I think we did try and cover it off and that's all you can do from a player's perspective."

McCullum's guilt led him to apologise to the Bangladesh captain and their coach Jamie Siddons.

"I spoke to Shakib and I also spoke to Jamie as well and just reassured them there was certainly no malice on my behalf.

"I'm basically comfortable that they know it's part and parcel of the game. And while they're disappointed – it would have been a great hundred if he had gone on and got it, it's frustrating for them I'm sure – but there's certainly no ill-feeling between us which is good."