View Single Post
Old March 12, 2011, 11:41 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad
Actually, I dont think people are being tough here at all... And I'm one of the optimists in this forum.

We can't see all of our batsmen averaging well under 30 (save for Tamim) in this tournament and not raise an alarm. The batsmen are NOT doing well. That cannot be argued.

al Furqaan, this board has been nothing but hospitable to Ian, and I don't think its fair to call them a tough bunch because a few (note the underline) have raised objections - In a very nonconfrontational manner manner might I add.
Farhad... I also don't think anyone is being tough. I am just a little disappointed with the grasp of the nuances of the game at times, that lead to polarised opinions that just are not valid such as "this player is bhua" or "that player is not good enough".

Having said that I agree with you about batting averages (and to correct you it is Tamim, Rocky, Shahriar and Shakib averaging plus 30).

In my personal view only an average above 40 puts you in the 'international class' on a regular basis that a top 4 batter would be expected. High 30s are OK, and low 40s -45s are really good. Approaching 50 is a seriously good player.

BD is an emerging nation and still ranked bottom of the ODi Test Team pile. If we had 4 or 5 batsmen averaging 40 plus we simply wouldn't be 9th in the world but far higher. So our results reflects our status and our status reflects our results. Higher scoring average batsmen gives you more runs to defend and thus more wins. And this of course takes you higher up the table.