View Single Post
Old March 18, 2013, 08:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Disagree with you Fazal.

Firstly careers dont end at 25. Do you know Kulasekera is 30, Eranga is 26, Lakmal is 26, Welagedara is 31.
That's not what I said. You don't gain speed when you are already 25. As I said before Nazmul is too slow for me specially for TEST. He may have some role for some specific case, but very limited role.

Quote:
Secondly containing is also very important in tests. Test cricket is all about building pressure. You choke the flow of runs, keep them in check and wait for the batsman to lose concentration and patience and then strike.
For some pitch, you need to create pressure from your core FBs. If you need a container bowler, you use your sudo all-rounders for that in your team. With the new ball, I don't want a specialied bowler as my container bowler, I like an attacking fast bowler to start my innings.

You can get away with your containing bowler in ODI, but not in test. You need your strike bowlers in TEST. Now whether Abul/Robiul/Rubel/Shafiul are your true strike bowlers or not, we will find out within a year or so. Nazmul is not a strike bowler in my opinion.

Quote:

Bowlers like Abul, Rubel, Shahadat even Shafiul tend to bowl three good line/length deliveries, then they put one short or wide and get punished. The good work they did with the three previous deliveries are of no use.
Two things I have to say...

You just need one good ball to get a wicket.

2nd point: Abul, Rubel, Shafiul, Robiul are all young and still learning...i am willing to give them some time here... if some of them fail over time (which some will do), we get the next new breed of FBs on the line...we need to move forward... not move backward.

If you have read my comment, I didn't included Shahdat in my list intentionally . He had plenty of opportunity and he failed to show constant improvement.... its time to move forward with other prospects. Shahadat is still young but I gave up hope on him.

Quote:
I dont think everyones in love with Nazmul as you might think. We just need to have a bowler with discipline in the lineup. Someone who sticks to the basics and bowls in the correct areas consistently. Someone who can bowl 5-6 overs in a row not giving away runs, allowing the bowler in the other end to attack. Being a lesser team we cannot attack on both ends. We need to strike a balance. Guys like Nazmul can provide that. Just see how beautifully Sri Lanka uses Kulasekera. Barring his inswingers he doesnt have much skill. He just sticks to the basics, bowls in the channel and allows guys like Malinga, Eranga, etc to attack. This is what we often fail to understand
few points...

Nazmul will not bowl against BD players, he will have to bowl against the best of the world, so I don't see a containing bowler in TEST will make any difference as some of you thinks. They don't make stupid mistakes like our batsman.

I also think unlike ODI, containing bowling have limited impact in test. In ODI containing bowler can create too much pressure to the batman, but not so in TEST, unless its going for a draw and the opponent is running out of overs.

btw here is what our bowlers gave in 1st innings:

Robiul Islam 15 1 52 2 3.46 (7nb)
Sohag Gazi 39 4 111 3 2.84

Abul Hasan 23 4 80 2 3.47 (1w)
Rubel Hossain 17 5 45 2 2.64

I don't see how much better Nazmul would have done, containing the run.