View Single Post
Old June 14, 2009, 02:09 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

I think the govt is taking a bold risky move and i not necessarily dislike it despite its few negative sides.

First, lets face the factors.
We have a massive amount of black money economy in this country. Some say its as good as the real economy. Not too hard to imagine when corruption, extra income and undeclared money is soo deep rooted in our society that almost every other person, if not almost all, is somewhat related to it.

So, what we do with this money that is lying around but is not coming to any cause.

Guys with big fat bank balance usually hide it in some foreign banks. The money that has been earned and taken from this country is lying around or being used in some other country when we could really help some extra bit of cash for ourselves so badly.

They call Malaysia the second home after investing a large sum of money. They have other shares and properties in few other places in the world because they cant work this money in their own economy.

So, either we keep on losing it and or do something about it.

Now, you cant just show up one year later and pay the 10% and get away. Its not like that.
The Govt has declared 42 sectors where this money has to be invested in order to enjoy the benefit

Not everybody will warm up with the idea so easily. Some would jump right, others will apply wait and see policy while there will be a group which will just not pay at all. You cant help them, its just the way they are.

There are few sectors where we need large investments so badly that either govt can come up with money or they'd have to rely on foreign countries, donor agencies and multi nations corporations.
Thats only adds up to our barden. If we can get some back of what we losing, that would be a great benefit for the economy in these times of global economic meltdown.

Even if we get few Billions back, it would create more jobs and will further strengthen our local industries and enterpreneurs. We'd become more self sufficient and will give rise to more industries from where we can export our goods. Our heavy reliance on RMG sector is too close for comfort to sustain economic growth.

This is like a 2nd stimulus package govt is declaring esp for those 42 sectors. I think govt knows their declared package was not sufficient, but that was the best they could do at that moment, given our limited resources.

I think its way better than just watching those money fade away in some foreign countries.

I think we realised that we cant forciebly get this money back. We tried to bring the whole corruption down so hard, that we completely failed at it. These matters are not so simply to solve.

So, the govt is opening doors for this people to bring the money back, use them productively and then start with a clean sheet.

The govt is taking bold moves here i say. Its a risky one that can go either way.
But sometimes, bold moves are necessary than to play defensive.

As said, the hardest part of this budget is the execution and implementation.
I guess we just have to wait and see for a little longer to find out how the govt and Mr.Muhit runs the economy.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]