View Single Post
Old March 15, 2015, 05:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejkuni
Raquibul Hasan Played for Pakistan Test team, but as a 12th man. He played for Pakistan national team against Commonwealth XI. He also played First class match against New Zealand and scored 50. Ashraful was also included in the Pakistan Team to tour Sri Lanka, but the our liberation war started before the tour.

As far I know the following players were considered for the Pakistan Test team:

Hira, Latif, Daulatuzzaman, Saifuddin Manik (Later he became a leader of the Comminust Party), and Bakul.

I heard from my father that Bakul used to play for Eaglets Cricket Club and was the best wicket keeper that time, but the chief selector Hafiz Kardar was reluctant to take any Bengali player.

Another palyer Rauf Ansari probably played for Pakistan. He was a West Pakistani, but used to live in Dhaka for his father's job.

In 1970 Jahangir Shah Badshah also impressed the selectors by his great performance in the national championship. He took the wickets of several Test players including Asif Iqbal.
Fact remains, none ever played in Paistan Team, I won't count the 12th man as a consolation prize. That off course doesn't mean that we couldn't play cricket; like every other profession, west Pakistani discrimination existed everywhere at every level. That discrimination was deep rooted, starting with facilities, funding, encouragement to selection/employment.

Even in current Pakistan, the Punjabis dominate & are priviledged, Sindhi has been able to take the nest biggest share because of strong political base of PPP. The rest are second class citizens in their own country.

Being seperated from Pakistan was the best thing that happened to us. Waiting for the day, we beat them regularly in cricket too.