View Single Post
Old June 12, 2007, 05:27 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Herbert Sutcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinder
What? So all that are not Miss World are not beautiful? There is another hadith; Allah doth not identify a person by his looks and beauty; but by his inner piety and humility.
I think that is what correlates to Beautiful my friend Warner.
My Dear Sidewinder,

If we decide to meet up and spend an afternoon going through the collected volumes of Tabari alone, we would find at least five thousand hadiths on any given subject either of us would recall. Anything you find in hadith to argue your side of the argument, I could find five others to prove my case, and in retort, you could find ten others to disprove me, and then I could find 20 others to restate my case! That is the beauty of hadith. It doesn't just allow you to see how the prophet would have lived his life, but it is an epistemology that teaches man the art of interpretation, moderation and a codification of life that suits his own purpose.

The hadith and beauty and loving the beautiful can be interpreted in many ways. This particular hadith raises questions about the nature of allah, what the idea of a theistic god comprise of, that god's intent and purpose. One Christian interpretation could well be that like the Bible's saying of God making man in his own image, here, the same Abrahamic god is stating that his creation is beautiful because he is beautiful, so there is nothing but beauty in his creation. So it is asking the man and woman to look beyond the facial scars, the deformed limb, the receeding hairline to the character of the individual. Beauty is equated to goodness here and that goodness is a moral goodness. That is my interpretation anyway.