View Single Post
Old July 14, 2009, 12:49 PM
Cricket Legend

I concur with Sohel's knowledgeable assessment in the main; with two exceptions.

I would drop Shahadat and replace him with Alam. I have seen very little of Alam but what I saw in South Africa , for me, is better than what I see of Shahadat, all hurly-burly at 75 mph !! [ 90 mph - really ? !!

My reasons are as follows:

I would select somebody primarily as a wicket taker. Rubel fits the bill perfectly despite his waywardness and this rather irritating no-balling habit which must be cured soon ! He is our Mitchell Johnston !

If you cannot do that, then the next best option is unerring accuracy. As they say, if you can't bowl 'em out, bore 'em out. Glenn McGrath was really the second type of bowler. So was Shaun Pollock. Alam is the poor man's McGrath. He should be persevered with. I see nothing in Shahadat to fit either of the above points.

Mashrafe to be replaced by Enam notwithstanding Greneda is likely to be more pace friendly.

I had thought of tinkering with Ashraful for Mehrab. However, not only did WI lose the first test - so did Ashraful. The much vaunted and arrogant boast that Bangladesh can never win anything without him has been ground into the dust. Even his successful partnership breaking balls owed more to Shakib's intelligent bowling changes and captaincy.

I do hope this does wake him up. Yet again not only did he fail twice - they were two awful shots coming from the seniormost player. I am so glad that the torch has been passed !

I will not have a vice captain - except let it be known that should Shakib be unavailable, Mushy will take over ! The torch should be seen to have been passed !!