View Single Post
Old May 2, 2006, 11:44 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
Why we always call "Faisal Hossain Dickens" as the classic example of failure of a domestic heroe?
We gave him chance to play just 1Test and 4 ODI.
Is this enough to define a "Classic" case?

Look at the recent example of South Africa's Hashim Amla.
Prolific scorer in domestic cricket, but was a damn failure in the international level until his 7th Innings. In his first 6 innings, he scored just 62 runs at an average of 10.33. Speaking of technical flaws, Amla also showed serious technical flaws with his shuffle across wicket, making him prime candidate for LBW all the time.

A player becomes a player with years of hardwork and determination.
We can not put a "failure" label on such a life-time effort with just 1 test and 4 ODI.

It's time to accept the fact that if a player can not score consistently in "low-standard" domestic cricket, he will never score consistently in "high-standard" international cricket. We can not expect a chicken of domestic cricket to become a tiger in international level.
I am mentioning Dickens as a classic example because in that brief exposure he showed the difference. He had no answers to the bowlers and the deliveries he survived, he looked simply helpless, no footwork and .....

Anyway it does not mean anyone good at domestic level will fail at international level, what I mean, 'there is very poor correlation in case of BD'.