View Single Post
Old March 31, 2010, 04:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
I know right? We all know that the tigers are an endangered species and should try to attempt every possible way to repopulate them. Yet we neutered the poor fella.

And then we got someone like Orphy, who in his lifetime will have 5-6 children and let's not forget the illegitimate affairs with all those Kajer Buas... Such a cruel world.

About the cub, I do hope that it will be sent back to it's natural habitat eventually. Although the odds of that happening are quite slim. Such majestic creatures should not be locked up in it's cage for the remainder of it's life.
Tonoy da, you are absolutely right on those, but remember the criminal drug smuglers had the cub neutered and declawed in the first place, the sanctuary or the DEA didn't. Actually the cub's only chance of survival is in a santuary like the one he calls home now in TX. Because he has been declawed he has zero survival chance in the wild/his own natural habitat. And also when you let him grow a bit and take care of him in a sanctuary, and then let him out in the wild, he also won't have any natural knowledge of how to feed himself, hunt vigorously or take care, fend for himself as he needed to learn those things from his mother in the first 3-12 months, and when he was rescued/saved/found he was only 4 months old, probably never been weened or nursed by mom. I am so glad he is saved, but I very much agree with you Tonoy da, seeing any of these majestic animal in a cage, limited space in a zoo pains me very much. But he is in a sanctuary, so he gets to raom a bit, which is good and better than a zoo.

About zoos, I have mixed feeling about them, I see zoos as a prison where all those wild animals are kept in a controled/limited space against their will. But I also realize the importance that zoos as these intitutions let children and average people (who can't afford to go to a safari/Africa/Amazon or visit the Sundarban) see these animals that they otherwise wouldn't have seen and wouldn't probably relate to or feel for or learn to love them as well. So it puts me in a dilemma but I now started to accept the need for proper, healthy, humane existence of zoos.