Thread: Goodbye Taufel
View Single Post
Old October 7, 2012, 10:54 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
^ That's not true. Because on-field umps still have make the decisions first. And then the teams will decide if they want to use DRS or not. If anything DRS will help us judge the umps better. We'll get to see how horrible/good decision makers they are "by flicking through video frames."

It was awesome when Dar and Taufel umpired together. They were the 3rd team on the field. All the players would be going nuts, calling for DRS and both of those 2 would have the last laugh with the DRS. And not to mention the competition between themselves.
Sure they have to make the decisions first but their decisions can be overturned. Back in the days whatever they decided would hold to be true even the run outs. Without the video frames you can truly judge how well they are doing on the field with their naked eyes. We could only tell how much of an arse they made of themselves only after they showed the replay either in the news or during the game voiced over by the commentators comments. You could pass a judgment on their on-field work. That's history now.

These days, they have very little control over major decisions. Run outs, LBW, caught-behind and all are reviewed despite umpire's initial decisions. Their roles have been limited to watching for no balls and in effect house-keeping on the field. Much of their work, for which I can either applaud him or throw a shoe at him, have been taken away from them. So I cant really point my fingers at them anymore. Don't get me wrong. We can get the fairest decisions which is good for the game. But when it comes reviewing their performance on field I can't really say he did well because the decisions that can either be a pivotal one is now passed to third umpire.