View Single Post
Old May 9, 2012, 06:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Default Riyad, team approach etc.

Ayo, what’s good in the hood Tiger farm?

This is the way I see it. For Bd cricket team, conservative batting is the future. I have too many bad memories of wicket falling ballets or renditions, sometimes as much as 4 batsmen falling in one over to believe that slow starters, slow innings builders should be condemned. Rather they should be praised and hugged as they are not giving their wicket away cheaply which had long been the trademark of our team.
Let’s talk about Riyadh. When the guy first came in, after 4 or 5 matches, he had an average of 79 or something I believe! Of course he couldn’t be expected to keep that up, or he would have been one of the greatest batsmen ever. My point is the guy is in no way inept. We have all seen him bat, he’s got a wider shot selection than most players, he’s patient with his strokes. Let’s give him some games higher up the order to see what he does. Every time we get a good score we have a chance. When we chase, every time we can keep our batsmen in for the last 10 overs, we have a chance. Both of these situations can be achieved by having more conservative batsmen like Riyadh in the team. We are looking forward to compete, aren’t we? Should we then not make it very difficult and annoying for other teams to face us? So we have a chance of victory every single damn time. Bd will always produce flair batsmen, no doubt. But I think giving a higher preference to batsmen like Mahmadullah is the way to go. For the sake of the future.

In a nutshell, my philosophy is to reduce the gap between us and other teams. Once we are within touching distance, evening our record with them for that particular year, then we can look for that killer blow, i.e. giving strike rate an equal importance.

For now let avg. > strike rate.