View Single Post
Old April 1, 2013, 03:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I hate his on field captaincy (passive and defensive field setting, bowler management, team selection etc) always punctuated by prolonged brain freezes at regular intervals, but love the way he keeps the team together. That's important when it comes to motivating and inspiring players to give their 100%. Mushfiq is one brave son of a gun and will grow into an excellent leader who can build on his amicability and then inspire and motivate his crew, but I doubt he'll be the proactive, thinking captain we need on the field. Shakib is better in comparison when it comes to adjusting to game situations on the field but not by a whole heck of a lot to be honest. He has well documented man management issues that can demoralize some key players and harm our cause.

Having said all that, I don't see an alternative to Mushfiq. Riyad or Mashrafe? ****ah please! Mashrafe's captaincy makes HaBa's look Waughesque, I kid you not.

Captaincy is a complex and highly nuanced art and needs to be taught and mentored to those with the right character, erudition and drive. Sadly, we have yet see someone who fits the bill at this moment. I say give Mushfiq the dressing room while someone like Shakib takes the lead in strategy and tactics. They're good enough friends for this to happen.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)