View Single Post
Old February 9, 2003, 11:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful
Default This is a funny thread!!

Actually I agree with rafiq.... I don't know what you people expect from these sports writers? I am sorry to put it this way but it is a bit of unnecessary whining. Pride is one thing, whining is something else.

Quote:
author: Sham
The point is, one can criticise without being condescending. But this is the man who thinks the duffer in the West Indies team is Brian Lara. I rest my case.
Well you just made Dileep look like a "duffer" but if you read the whole thing (I know you did) -he is not way off...

Quote:
Duffer: Brian Lara He may still be among the world’s best batsmen, but his return could also disrupt the balance of a side that has done just dandy without him. If he proves us wrong and bats like he did against South Africa in 1996, we won’t complain. ///He had doubts!!

Encounters of the grudge kind: South Africa The last-ball defeat at the ICC Champions Trophy hurt and West Indies have waited five months for payback time. Expect the unexpected./// Not bad huh?
I think we all would agree on what he said about India. What the hell are those Indian fans thinking - Winning the World Cup .. HAHA. (But you never know right?)

Now the term Duffer..
Quote:
author: Arnab
From Arnab's Revised and Unabashedly Scathing Dictionary:
Revised?? hehe. When is the next revision? I guess this is the only free of charge dictionary available world wide.

Jaihok:
Beside "incompetent", this term is used in golf. I remember it had something to do with golf, so I did a google search and this is what I came up with:

Quote:
describes a hacker as simply a poor golfer. A golf hacker did not start playing young, does not have natural talent, and does not hit a lot of balls (the secrets of all top golfers). But what actually constitutes a 'golf hacker'? He or she is someone who goes out to the golf course to have a good time (admirable), but doesn't have a clue as to why he or she is such a poor player (not so admirable). Someone who occasionally has a great shot (and that keeps the hacker returning) but more often has poor shots: ....

....Often, the hacker doesn't even bother keeping score because the numbers are too high, or she fudges the numbers 'just a little' to come up with some score. Yet despite the poor play, the embarrassing shots, and general disregard for golf's basic rules, the hacker will often tell you that "it doesn't really matter. I had a good time, and that's what counts."

Hogwash. Lurking behind such rationalization is a frustrated golfer who really would like to play better, but just doesn't know how to start improving. Or, perhaps, he has an idea of what must be done but sees the effort as too great and "not worth it."

If you have three of more of the characteristics listed in the table, then (in my opinion) you could be considered a golf hacker. (The poor golfer is also sometimes called a duffer, but hacker is the term I prefer.)
http://www.lakesidepress.com/Golf/Preface.htm
I think if you put the above definition for duffer - Dileep writing is hillarious.

Sorry I made you read all these junk (if you read it) but think about the positive. You will never forget the meaning of duffer.

**looks like Arnab beat me to the post by a minutee**

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by Orpheus]