View Single Post
Old September 19, 2003, 09:36 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Whatmore warns Bangladesh to toughen up

Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore has warned some of his players to toughen up or lose their places on the team.

"If I do find one or two players who are not prepared to toughen up for international matches then they won't have a very long career at all," Whatmore said following Bangladesh's defeat in the third one-day international in Lahore on Monday.

Whatmore is still searching for his first win in tests or one-day internationals since taking over Bangladesh last June.

Bangladesh lost the three-test series in Pakistan 3-0 and are 3-0 down in the five-match one-day series with two to play.

Bangladesh, who won test status in 2000, have yet to win a test and have gone without a win in one-dayers since they beat Pakistan during the 1999 World Cup in England.

With two matches to play on their tour of Pakistan, Whatmore said he was looking for improvement.

"I had some hopes in this one-day series at the start of it. But I have revised my goals and objectives after the first game. But generally we are moving in the right direction," he said.

Bangladesh had to chase a revised target of 244 in 44 overs after 55 minutes were lost because floodlights failed during the third one-dayer on Monday.

"It is not easy having six overs cut and having to chase a revised target of six runs per over from five. If we had been chasing the same score...then it might have been easier and a more competitive match," captain Khaled Mahmud said.

Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram had encouraging words for Bangladesh, however, saying the side's improvement showed in their fielding and attitude.

"They will get there in two or three years' time. You have to give them time. Sri Lanka won the World Cup 16 years after getting test status.