View Single Post
Old April 8, 2017, 09:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing
Default The apparent discord between Haturusinghe and the players. This needs to be solved!

Haturusinghe has literally picked us from the ashes and given us belief on the fields. We have returned to winning ways in Tests, T20s and ODIs. We have won 6 out of 7 home series under him, a lot of credit needs to be given to him as well as Mashrafe, and obviously the players who have performed to take us here. We need to go further though, there is a problem between Haturusinghe and the players and as we find out more and more it is becoming evident that there is a discord between Haturusinghe and his coaching ways and the national team players.

For me it seems Haturusinghe is not communicating well with the players. Deep down I believe strongly he wants good for the Bangladeshi team, he wants to make changes so that we are world class, and he is quick to make changes if he thinks that someone is not contributing or does not deserve a place. He is part of the selection panel which he asked for, so he is getting all the freedom he wants and also needs. I believe a coach has to be part of the selection and responsible for the team's performance. But it seems from a variety of sources of news that all is not well because of the power he is getting as well. Between the players and the coach, there is apparently a communication gap, it does not look like a happy family for now and that is something we have to nip in the bud if we don't want this problem to spiral out of control.

Mashrafe is thought to have complained to the BCB chairman that the players are often in disagreement with the coach about many decisions. First of all, the source needs to be confirmed but what we have confirmation about is how Mashrafe wanted the selection of Nasir in the team, that was overturned. Mashrafe also confirmed that he is not going to go to Sri Lanka if Mahmudullah is not in the team, another confirmed news is that Mashrafe wanted Rubel hossain in the team and when he was not he felt he stood in the way. Now we are hearing unconfirmed reports of Mashrafe questioning Mominul's return to Bangladesh without working on his weakness against offspin. We are also hearing that Mushfique did not want to declare against NZ but had to because the coach forced him to.

I will not go into the disagreements too much, it is for everyone to see that there is a problem there. But what I want to concentrate on is that this problem needs a solution. The BCB chairman now knows of the issues, what he needs to do is sit down with the players and the coach and communicate to both sides that whatever is being done is for the Bangladeshi team. If the players have disagreements they need to be able to tell the coach, they can't play out there with worries of the devil or perform when they are fighting a battle within. They need to fight the opposition not among themselves, that makes our team weaker and we have seen that while we could have performed better we did not, I am wondering more if it is because of this discord between the management and the players.

There is a problem with Papon and the players too. This is well documented but I will not go there for now. What needs to happen now is that the coach has to become not only a guardian but a friend to the players. He needs to sit down behind a closed door and have a frank one to one. I believe it will do wonders for the team. The coach eventhough has taken many controversial decisions till now, he needs to communicate with the team that they are for the betterment of the team. Remember how he stood for Taskin and Sunny, not many foreign coach will do that.

I want to send out a positive message out there, I think it is time the players and the coach have the same vision and are on the same page. The coach has to listen to the captain and the players and vice versa. We need to smoothen this engine for the greater good. As a fan I can only hope that these two parties come together and speak about their issues openly and resolve them. But with the Ireland tour one month away, it seems unlikely it will happen soon and Champions Trophy coming right after that it is highly unlikely we will get a resolution just yet.