View Single Post
Old July 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Nope. Check previous few series. DS has been the 1st change bowler. He has been for a while.
In the last Test series SA played, Steyn took the new ball in all bar one innings (in 6 innings). So I don't think he has been the first change bowler regularly. Don't know where you got that from. Steyn not taking the new ball today owes partly to the fact that he averages 31 against left-handers as opposed to 18 against right handers. But the main reason is that Morne Morkel has consistently got the better of Andrew Strauss in their duels. And my assertion is supported by Cricinfo:

Quote:
Tactic of the day
It had been widely anticipated in the run-up to the series that the new ball would be shared by Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander. With good reason, too. Not only had the South African camp suggested that would be the case, but this was just the second time since 2005 that Steyn had played a Test without opening the bowling in the first innings. It was, therefore, something of a surprise that Morne Morkel was preferred to Steyn with the new ball. Perhaps we should not have been surprised: Morkel had dismissed Strauss six times in Tests before this game - often operating from round the wicket - and the tactic brought immediate reward when England's captain was dismissed in the first over.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-...ry/573100.html

Quote:
Team like SA wouldn't do something like that. They are pros.
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. A professional team would not tweak their tactics to get results?