View Single Post
Old January 1, 2012, 11:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Firstly, I'm not sure if Shakib will be paid $425,000 total over three seasons. I think he'll get paid that sum each season. At least, that was what the New York Times reported but maybe someone could get a better cricketing source?

Secondly, beyond the actual figure, I think we also need to look deeper into the contracts IPL players sign. Before players used to get their stipulated salary, irrespective of their performance or availability. In the new contracts of 2011, like the one Shakib signed, 20% of a player's salary is withheld unless their team qualifies for the Champion's League, 10% is withheld if players fail to uphold promotional requirements and if a player fails to appear for the team regularly in addition to the above, they may only get about 50% of their stipulated salary. (See Source) They would still get paid a handsome sum of money after the deductions but no one likes the idea of potentially losing so much money.
Thanks Navo Bhai on both points. I initially thought the contract money is distributed over three years from my reference, but NY Times is a solid paper. That was a bold commitment by KKR - good for Shakib!