View Single Post
Old May 15, 2004, 01:20 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
they ahve no spin either
What about Gayle? Especially during the final 10 overs?

Past records show that our pace bowlers have always done better than our regular spinners Enamul Haque Moni and Mohammad Rafique. If we consider that most of the games were played in Dhaka & one in Chittagong, where batsman-friendly wickets are used, then the past records don't give us much encouragements.

However, things that are different now is that Rafique is in an astonishing form right now, and we never used the home-grounds to our full advantage before anyways. So I won't be surprised if our spinners do a better job this time around, surprisingly away, in the West Indies.

But, we will underestimate the West Indies and will be complacent against their spin attack (whereas West Indians themselves are mentioning complacency), which I believe we should not do.

They don't have quality spinners in their side alright, but they do have some accurate spinners, and Chris Gayle leading that spin attack.

So, if our spinners does better (or if the conditions are suitable for spinners), there is no way for us to say that we will have a better advatange of winning the match.

I've seen them - besides Gayle, Ramnaresh Sarwan also bowls leg spin more accurately than our Alok/Ashraful; so while our part time leggies give away floods of runs when they bowl, West Indies leggies are actually more effective in checking the run-rates down.

That is, if our batsman do manage to see off the new ball attack of the West Indies pacemen.