Thread: Who's Worse?
View Single Post
Old November 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
First of all, we have to agree to disagree on "Mushfiq is doing fine as of now" based on his on field captaincy decisions from field placement bowler rotation according to match situations. We do not have the luxury of such blatant and costly errors being the team we are. Just following a script regardless of the match situation is moronic, unacceptable and damaging. It could be argued that the burden of captaincy, even of the brain dead variety, has adversely affected his batting. So he isn't really leading from the front either. So HOW is he "doing fine as of now"?

Secondly, Tamim has played over 100 ODIs and as a top order batsman, and knows what to do when it comes to reading another batsman's comfort level and apply pressure accordingly. Being naturally aggressive, I don't see him holding back or taking his foot off the gas when we have the upper hand.

That being said, Mushfiq is a very good captain off the field, certainly better than Shakib from I've heard from several players who have played for both. He is more personable, more approachable and far less intimidating than Shakib, and is therefore more liked. Sadly, that has not and will not mitigate his on field ineptitude and prevent the damage it will continue to do to the little chance we have to begin with. That, at the end of the day, will not motivate our players to do better. Not being cuddled by a cuddly guy ultimately perceived as weak within our cultural context is the way to go "as of now".
With so many young players around, Mushfiq's ability to keep them calm, confident, and together as a team is much more important than any strategic blunder he may make.

Shak is a great cricketer, but he was certainly not motivating others to play better. His off field shenanigans was also effecting the team spirit badly.

Tamim is an even worse choice for his on and off field behaviors.

May be in future we can think of someone with a better strategic and aggressive mindset (Nasir?). But for now we need a team builder, and I think Mushfiq is doing the job fine.