View Single Post
Old December 17, 2004, 06:11 PM
Administrator

The anti-Whatmore volleys are getting larger and more frequent! Or at least questioning some of the coaches approach and methodology. I have always been a strong Whatmore-keep-him-at-all-cost and no-criticisms-are-worthy kind of person but perhaps now a little bit more "extrospection" is in order.

I have always tried to draw a business analogy to coaches and cricket teams - where cricket teams are companies in various stages of maturity - start-up, growth, mature. A coach is then like a CEO - depending on the type of team. A start-up requires a different type of CEO from a growth stage company. For a growth-phase company, the fundamentals are sound, and the CEO is oftentasked with taking to the company to a financible stage where a different breed of CEO takes over. I know I am simplifying my analysis a bit and business-type persons like Rafique can elaborate more or shoot down my theory (better not!).

I have always seen Whatmore as the CEO of a growth stage company. The fundamentals are sound and he is tasked with taking the team to the next stage - i.e. what he did to Sri Lanka. Once there, a different CEO takes over - like Wright for India.

And I made a similar leap vis a vis Bangladesh. The fundamentals are sound - and Whatmore's task is to carry us over the chasm. The fundamental fallacy of my reasoning was with assuming that the fundamentals are all hunky dory for Bangladesh.

The fundamentals are NOT ok - we do not have a solid infrastructure and our resouce base is very thin. We are basically at the start-up phase and we need a different methodology and strategy to get to the next step - solid fundamentals. Is Whatmore the right person for this? Perhaps not. Perhaps what we need is a CEO ala McInnes - who is more into instilling the basics into the team rather than acting as almost an aloof mentor to a team already there. Sri Lanka was already there - all needed as a guiding hand and confidence building rah-rah-rah and support.

Bangladesh is not there yet. We need more than just a guiding hand - we need a firm hand with a strong whip.

Edited on, December 17, 2004, 11:46 PM GMT, by Zunaid.