View Single Post
Old June 13, 2008, 06:27 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful, Tamim & Junaid
Default West Indies Glories Of The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab
Hello Ehteshamul Bhaiya
I am amazed to know that you are very well versed about WI cricket. They were the heydays of WI cricket glory. Kallicharan of Guyana is married to one of my uncle's daughters and they live in England.
In the early days, it was Ramadin and Valentine. I am sad to see that WI cricket has gone down the drain, they are having a bad patch at the moment, but billionaire Stanford has given lots of money for training and coaches, in the recent SL series, I have seen improvement, also against Australia. Chanderpaul is a great friend of my brother, also used to play for the Police team in Georgetown. a bowler has to fight hard for his wicket. He is a slow and steady guy.
When I met the BD players in Colombo, they told me that they are great admirers of past great WI cricketers. Clive LLoyd is from Guyana and he is the great captain who led WI to their first world cup victory.
Gordon Greenidge was also BD coach and during the 20/20 world cup, one of the commentators remarked that Ashraful bats a bit like GG.
Anyhow, in that match I was supporting BD and not WI, and was happy when they won.
I hope that one day WI cricket can be what it was, but the present cricketers lack discipline and commitment and I think the same thing is happening in BD cricket. years ago, these players hardly earned money, they played for their country and the love of cricket. They did not have physio and a whole troop travelling with them. Now cricketers are spoilt and pampered.
Yesterday, I saw a part of the replay 20/20 match between WI and BD, watched at Ash's innings and wish that we can see that spark and laugh again.
Keep posting, you are a breath of fresh air on this forum, many times i am upset by all the negativity,bashings and harsh criticisms,especially what happened to Mushy, so your posts instill hope that all is not lost. i enjoyed the videos, and it warms my heart to see that you make the time to do all these things so that your friends here can enjoy

Have a great day

Allah Hafez
Hello Zainab Apu,

I am very impressed by your knowledge of both Bangladesh and West Indies cricket.

Sorry I missed to mention about Clive Lloyd in my post on West Indian greats.

Surely the Best Captain after Sir Frank Worrell. He led from the front.

Wow! What a Captains knock he played in the 1975 world cup against Australia.

It was pure magic . I may dare say that it was under Clive Lloyd that West Indies became invincible in the seventies and eighties.

Allah Hafez.

Cheers!

Last edited by ehteshamul; June 14, 2008 at 12:45 AM..