Thread: Who's Worse?
View Single Post
Old November 30, 2012, 03:08 PM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Thank you. Contrary to perception, Shakib was no revolutionary captain. He may have been sharper on the field (although actual evidence suggests otherwise - see below), his behind the scenes management of the team was disastrous. If he can sort that out then for sure he'll be captain again but as of now the team is in no such crisis that a change of leader is required. On top of that, Shakib's batting stats have soared since he lost the captaincy.

Top 20 scores against Bangladesh:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...ype=opposition

5 out of 20 during Shakib's tenure; Mushy is yet to get on the list despite his "brain-dead" captaincy. In fact Mushy is yet to concede a 300+ score to the opposition.
Spot on, as much as I dislike some of Mushy's decisions you gotta give credit where it's due. Show me a single Bangladeshi captain who was good with bowling and fielding changes. Unfortunately there isn't any, all of them including Shak have made some very big blunders. I know Shak does come with some brilliant decisions at times but overall his captaincy has been very poor. He hardly encourages any player and tries to do everything on his own. On the other hand, we all know that Mushy is a great leader off the field and more importantly he is good friends with all the players which is really necessary to motivate everyone to play as a team. That being said, his on-field captaincy surely leaves a lot to be desired but I'm quite hopeful that with time he'll only get better. Here's something encouraging about Mushy's captaincy, this is what Isam bhai had to say on his fielding adjustments:

Quote:
Clever adjustment of the day
A captain's job can be subtle as well as obvious. When Gazi was brought into the attack for a second spell after West Indies had lost seven wickets he beat Devon Thomas first ball then, as he was walking back to his mark, Mushfiqur Rahim signalled to Abdur Razzak at long-on to move a little to his right. The next ball Razzak took two steps forward to take a simple catch; the captain's sleight of hand working a treat.
© ESPNcricinfo