View Single Post
Old January 10, 2010, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Default Prepping for the big game

So this is for the fans. Sure the whole site is for the fans, their emotions and opinions, but this is more specific. We interview players, talk about how they prepare themselves for big games, scrutinize their every comment, etc etc. But what do you do on the eve (or even before that) of a match involving Bangladesh? How do you warm up for the grand occasion?

In a way, this could be likened to one of those therapy sessions where junkies sit in a circle and start sharing their issues. The first step is always to admit and acknowledge that one has a problem and then go from there. But this isn't to fix you - your problem (if you have one at all, which is debatable) is no one else's business unless you want it to be.

So how do you do it? I'll go first. Weeks (and sometimes months, depending on how starved I am) before the game, I develop symptoms such as a dry throat, slightly increased heart rates and constant pumping of my adrenal glands. As the game approaches, these give way to palpitations, a sinking sensation in the stomach and a choking sensation around the thyroid. Body temperatures rise beyond 100 F but I hardly feel like I have a fever; in fact I feel so pumped up that if I could bowl fast enough, I'd go out and crack some helmets.

The night before the game, I'll cook something nice. It's a ritual - one that I don't necessarily need an excuse for - and I like to make sure that I fill approximately 85% of my stomach as opposed to the usual 120%. This is to make sure that all my senses are fully alert during the game and that I can perform (viewing) at my best. I eat way ahead of the game too.

Right before the toss, I listen to "Cholo Bangladesh", which charges me up to the point where I eagerly await the breaking of abdomen guards by Mashrafe and the unwinding of the seam by Tamim. Finally, it is time for eight hours of pain as I watch my team get clobbered around.

So what do you, fan of Bangladesh cricket, do to ensure that you're in top form going into a game? Physical conditions, emotions, agitations, superstitions - don't hold back.