View Single Post
Old May 15, 2012, 08:06 AM
MLC World Series I

IPL council suspends five players

Quote:
The IPL governing council has suspended five players named by a sting operation alleging corruption until a committee appointed to investigate the accusations conducts its inquiry. TP Sudhindra (Deccan Chargers), Mohnish Mishra (Pune Warriors), Shalabh Srivastava (Kings XI Punjab), Amit Yadav (Kings XI Punjab) and Bali were the players suspended, according to IPL chairman Rajiv Shukla.

Shukla said Ravi Sawani , the former head of the ICC's anti-corruption and security unit (ACSU), will lead the inquiry committee.

Srivastava, one of the players accused by the sting, said he was not guilty. "I fail to understand whatever is being said about spot-fixing. Also if they [a TV channel) are showing all the video clips, why aren't they showing the clip where I allegedly am demanding Rs. 10 lakh?" he told NDTV. "The voice in that telephonic conversation is not mine. It is very easy to frame anyone with a doctored audio clip."

India TV, a television channel, showed footage of a player bowling a big no-ball in a limited-overs match and played a recording of a phone conversation that it said was of a current IPL player negotiating a fee for bowling a no-ball. It also had at least three players on camera allegedly seeking more lucrative deals - including extra money that would have violated their IPL contracts - with other league franchises through an undercover reporter posing as a sports agent.

More to follow ...