View Single Post
Old October 17, 2008, 03:40 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
That applies to most parts of the world, however, in tribal societies (particularly in middle east), its taken as granted that a person will get jobs based on their tribe/family, or that the courts will favor the richer/more influential person.

Its a defect in the system more than a defect in the people.....
Noted. But it's the local people's attitudes (both Arab and otherwise) that has a) led to a defective system and b) upheld and supported a defective system. The unquestioned support that the UAE got from us immigrants in return for the big money has led to it. And don't get me wrong, I am VERY grateful to Sheikh Zayed (Snr) for giving so many outsiders the opportunities which would later pave the way for all the other gulf countries.

As for other parts of the world having such systems, very true but again; you, living in the UAE, would know as to how "open" prejudice is in the UAE though. We used to get daily taunts from Arabs while even going shopping! Or at school even. And the UAE's much better off (racism-wise) than other gulf countries too. At least that's what I've heard.