View Single Post
Old December 24, 2006, 12:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Well, you are right for the next few years that's for sure as neither Mujib dynasty or Zia dynasty are Hindu. I don't see anyone becoming PM in near future of Bangladesh apart from these two dyansty.
I don't see anyone in the next 10-15 years. Plus a lot of educated Hindus have been leaving the country to India at a steady rate for the last 10-15 years, as far as I know. There's no strong next generation of Hindu MPs I am afraid.

Quote:
That's why I termed your comments as superficial in my earleir post. Hindu MP's like Suranjit Sen Gupta, Panchanan Biswas, Bir Bahadur, Promod Mankin, Dhirendra Nath, Dipankar Talukdar and many others are regularly talking in different seminars about making Bangladesh 'constitutionally a "secular" state '. Their views are getting adquate media attention without much atrocity at all. I am not mentioning anyone names who belong to civil society as you mentioned about MP.
I know about them. All of them are Awami League MPs. Part of the reason why they are being heard is because they are backed by a big party. But I think they have been criticized by say, Dinkal, Inqilab and Songram among others, many times. I have no doubt that there's a deep distrust against secularism in a large portion of our society. Secularism has become a part of partisan politics.