View Single Post
Old December 24, 2006, 10:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
not a very good comparison...for the simple fact that the bible is 70% jewish. jewish senators take the oath based on that, not the new testement. so for the christian senetor elect, he embraces 100% of the bible on which he swears, the jew 70%, and ellison 0%.

further, many of the jewish senetors have sworn on the hebrew bible. this directly means that ellison has every legal right to swear on an arabic or bangla quran. because the man who started this custom (the US constitution does not mandate the swearing on any book, much less the bible) was G Washington and he used a hebrew bible as much as he used a sanskrit geeta.
Now we are talking. So it's not exactly customary to swear on the New testament, or any holy book for that matter? Please point me to the source of this info.

Quote:
neither do azans. i've been to dhaka several times, and when i'm inside the house i can't even hear the azan. similarily, in my home in the states, i don't hear church bells. therefor, there is no difference between a church bell and an azan.
Er, no. It's like saying Al Furqan lives in a house, a Pygmie in Congo lives in a house, therefore Al Furqan is a Pygmie. Doesn't follow. You need to try a different line of argument.

Quote:
of course if you go inside the minaret and stick your head right next to the loudspeaker, the azan may be a tad bit loud.
So can be the church bells if you go inside the bell-tower. In fact, the bells will look very huge. Bigger than humans. Wow!

I was obviously not talking about the extreme conditions such as living in a semi-sound-proof AC room or going inside the minaret/tower.

Azans can be heard everywhere if you go out on the street. And I have personally no problem with it since I have grown up with it, but I can see how a non-Muslim could find it silly. Just like I find the some holy cow sitting in the middle of the road in India silly.

Quote:
i disagree...mullahs would object but i doubt my 80 year old nana (who is a muslim) would object.
How about the 18-50 years old Muslim demographic that constitute the majority of the adult muslims in our country?

Quote:
if you haven't noticed, mullahs tend to object to a lot of trivial things. the mulla is not the average bangladeshi muslim. a brick layer in mohammadpur is the average bangladeshi muslim and he wouldn't do a damn thing.
Sure, how about the 18-50 years old BD Muslim demographic?

Quote:
by the same token, Colorado senator tom tancredo is an american christian and has advocated nuking Mecca. does this mean all american christians want to nuke mecca? no because a senetor from colorodo is not the average american christian.
How do you reckon an Average Christian American would react to swearing on the Quran?

Quote:
very true...
You're getting there.