View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 12:56 PM
Street Cricketer

al Furqaan bhai, isnaad bhai and sum1 bhai - along with few others (don't mind me if I can't quote everyone) - I appreciate the logical discussion. Some excellent points made. Like I said, the purpose was to invite an honest appraisal of Bangladesh's test performance, the reasons around it and hopefully not shy away from seeing ourselves in bad light.

I do agree with some very relevant points, the fact that the richer boards like CA, CSA and BCCI try to avoid playing Bangladesh is certainly a dampener. And though I won't even sent my future mother in law to Pakistan, that BCB promised and then backed out from PAK tour also strained their relationship (and chance of playing tests) in Pakistan.

What I do agree is that yes, teams in the past had far better preparation - long tours, first class matches and all. Certainly the advent of T20 has robbed BD of that chance. That being said, rather than playing against Zimbabwe all the time, shouldn't BCB also try to send its players to counties in ENG or AUS. I don't know if they are that poor. I also concede their batting has improved a lot - but the overall stats in Tests and ODIs, in both batting and bowling still look under-par. In fact Shakib, Tamim, and Razzak (only in ODIs) apart few can be automatic picks for World XI.

For all those who couldn't even spell my name correctly, or simply started crying foul because of where I come from - get a life folks! Yes, this is a controversial topic. Yes, it is always painful when the faults of your team are pointed out - but by burying your head in sand you don't solve anything.

The idea was also to see if not playing tests really helps BD focus on T20 and ODIs to come up the ranks. My friends in Ireland tell me that each of their player plays for some English county, even if second XI, do you think the Bangladesh players take such an initiative to play in first class set up of Sri Lanka or India? A prime example of maintaining a good first class cricket structure is South Africa. Despite not playing cricket for years they quickly rebuilt after re-admission.

Have a discussion, debate it, .. and I'm fine if you think I'm totally wrong. I happily invite constructive argument. Just don't start yelling because it's Bangladesh. I'm just as critical of many things faulty with Indian cricket or BCCI, or for that matter WICB, ECB or any of those.