Thread: Fast Bowling
View Single Post
Old June 4, 2012, 08:41 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Good discussion.

Ian, why do you think there is this reluctance to bowl quick in BD? Is it because of the slow pitches? I don't know about pitches in Pak or SL, but they seem to produce bowlers with "raw speed". But you don't need the assistance of pitches if you want to bowl with extreme speed. If you have the ability, then you don't depend on pitches. You just rush in and bowl quick. So in that way, we can't blame the pitches. So in conclusion, I think its the lack of desire or passion. Most of the youngsters either dream of becoming a batsmen or SLAs.
When a kid is playing tape ball cricket or street cricket he knows nothing of slow pitches in the DPL. I think it is not slow pitches that stop him. And you are right to point out that it has to be a desire. It is whether someone grows wanting to be a fast bowler that motivates them. Young bowlers need heros. Bangladesh doesn't have any 150 kph fast bowling heros of its own.

Someone, somewhere must be passionate about pace bowling in Bangladesh for them to have the heart and desire to do the work needed to become a fast bowler. I just haven't seen that yet.