View Single Post
Old May 17, 2012, 06:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear
Default My name is khan

Shah Rukh Khan in trouble over stadium skirmish

ESPNcricinfo staff

May 17, 2012

The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) has lodged a formal police complaint against Shah Rukh Khan, co-owner of the Kolkata Knight Riders and Bollywood superstar, over an alleged skirmish with security guards following Knight Riders' victory over the Mumbai Indians at the Wankhede Stadium on Wednesday. The MCA will meet to discuss what action is to be taken against Shah Rukh, who has denied being drunk and disorderly.

Late last night, MCA officials went to the Marine Drive Police Station to lodge a police complaint against him. Shah Rukh is being accused of trying to walk on to the field of play after the game. MCA treasurer Ravi Savant told PTI that Shah Rukh had "misbehaved and abused security personnel as well as MCA officials, including our president Vilasrao Deshmukh, after the IPL match. We have decided to ban him for life from entering the stadium in future."

Savant's statements about a life ban for Shah Rukh could not be corroborated with the IPL governing council chairman Rajeev Shukla telling reporters, "I will take the version of the MCA, Shah Rukh Khan and the police before talking about the issue. The decision on the ban is taken by the Working Committee so I will speak to MCA president Vilasrao Deshmukh on this. I have to take the version of all the parties involved and then speak."

Shah Rukh, who spoke to the media on Thursday afternoon, denied he had misbehaved or was drunk but said he was reacting to the "obnoxious" and "unpardonable" behaviour of officials at the stadium. He said he had not been present at the match but had gone there after it was over to pick up a large group of his children and their friends.

He said he saw security guards manhandling the children and when he objected a group of officials came over and the altercation started. "I said a few things in anger. I was one and they were 20-25 officials and they were extremely rude. When I tried to answer them, they hid behind others," the actor said. "There was nothing illegal, I was not on the pitch. I know the rules."

Asked about the possibility of a ban by the MCA, Shah Rukh said, "If this is the kind of behaviour meted out to people then I would not go there. There were people rushing at me aggressively. I think it's unpardonable that you manhandle kids in the name of security."

Savant told the news channel Headlines Today that Shah Rukh had tried to enter the stadium "after everything was over" and when asked to leave by the security guard Shah Rukh had "manhandled" him. It was alleged that Shah Rukh was "continuously using foul, filthy language towards officials who tried to pacify him and make him understand." An MCA member who also happened to be an assistant commissioner of police, was also seen trying to silence Shah Rukh.

Savant said all that was left at the moment was to put the proposed ban on paper and get its formalities completed, with a majority support with the MCA. He said that Shah Rukh had come to the ground well after the presentation ceremony and without any accreditation. "He had flouted all the rules", Savant said.

"Some unprovoked incident that took place, and foul language was used," Ratnakar Shetty, the BCCI's chief administrative officer, said. "MCA officials are angry. We will try to find out what has happened. Definitely, the BCCI will look at what the MCA has to say