View Single Post
Old August 21, 2009, 12:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
bolt, phelps, tiger woods, roger federer. many sporting greats this era, it is surely a great time to be alive.
Hmm, Bolt maight as well be the Donald Bradman of Athletics. About Phelps, I'm not so sure, there was Thorpedo and e faded gradually. Tiger woods would be in the "greatest" league. Roger Federer is also exceptional, the greatest up to now, but he is not inhuman like Bolt or Don or Woods. Someone might pass his achievements one day.
Come to think of it, people around 1910-50 had Babe Ruth and Sir Don from the sporting greatests. Then came a brief lull, but Ali was more than enough for the ensuing period, I'd go on and say he is still the greatest personality sports has produced. 1980-90, we had Navratilova and Graf and Sena. Pete Sampras was thought to be the greatest in 2000, But Fed has quashed that. Lara, Tendulkar, Warne and Murali are the greats in cricket who are not going to be replaced anytime soon. Maybe in Warne, Murali we had seen the greatest spinners cricket will ever produce, no one in the new generation seem to be able to reach their heights.

But Bolt is just so much above the league, he has already become the greatest sprinter in my book.