View Single Post
Old December 22, 2007, 06:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

This is a suggestion, rather than a question.

For those of you living abroad in countries where giving Qurbani'r gosh to the poor and needy may not be so noticeably easy, I just tried calling the nearby homeless shelters today. I have found one with women and children, and after calling them they were kind of surprised hearing my question: "We have a festival called Eid-ul-Adha, and there we slaughter an animan. After the animal has been slaughtered, we must give away a third of it to the needy. I was thus wondering if you guys would let me host you guys with some of these meat in any way you want...raw or cooked".

The lady was surprised, and didn't know what to answer. She said she'll call back. Less than 5 minutes later she called back, and said "I asked my boss, and she said go right ahead...I've heard of Eid, and I know about Muslims doing it every year".

To avoid this problem of distributing the meat among the poor and needy, many of us have done the qurbani back home in the past. But people tell me that it is recommended that we distribute it within our own community first...and then to others.

I've informed a few of my relatives about it, and they might tag along with me. What's making me happy is the fact that there is at least a remote possibility of these people believing that the real face of Islam is not what they see on CNN.