View Single Post
Old March 1, 2011, 06:28 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: IVA Richards
Default Singles wins Matches

Hello All:
It is clear that in these days of ODI where 300+ scores are considered chaseable, the ability of a player to milk singles is most crucial. I had a conviction that this is exactly where we need to focus to take our cricket to the next level.

I was searching for the number of dot balls faced but could find that data in cricinfo. With available data however I was able to come up with an analysis on the current players of BD and kept the Aussies for comparison. I have measured the capacity to milk bowlers for runs without scoring boundaries derived from taking the Total scored by a batsman in 1s, 2s and 3s and then dividing it by the number of balls faced where a boundary was not scored. Here is what I have found:

Bangladesh
Shakib Al Hasan 50%
Mushfiqur Rahim 44%
Abdur Razzak 43%
Raqibul Hasan 43%
Junaid Siddique 43%
Mohammad Ashraful 42%
Tamim Iqbal 40%
Naeem Islam 39%
Imrul Kayes 39%
Rubel Hossain 29%
Shafiul Islam 29%
Average 40%

Australia:
MEK Hussey 60%
MG Johnson 58%
B Lee 54%
MJ Clarke 53%
RT Ponting 50%
SR Watson 48%
BJ Haddin 46%
SW Tait 29%
DE Bollinger 67%
NM Hauritz 64%
CL White 52%
Average 53%

One point of note is that Openers, as they face the PP can afford to have a lower number. If you see the aussie number then you will see that both Haddin and Watson has lower than average number.

So Australians on an average are about 30% more capable of taking singles than us. But the interesting point is all of their bowlers have a very high singles conversion rate. I am sure this is not happening by chance. They surely focus on training their tail enders to take singles.

Meanwhile we should concentrate on training our main stays to do the same.

Regards,

Hasib

Last edited by hasibhussain; March 1, 2011 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: The table was mismatched