View Single Post
Old February 8, 2008, 02:47 AM
BC Editorial Team

আমার দুই পয়্সা ...

I believe that we are all born with varying degrees of gay tendencies. I have a male friend who loves shopping. I can pick up if a girl makes subtle hairstyle changes. I know a loving wife and mother of two who gets super excited about power tools. We all know way too many guys with effeminate mannerisms who are as straight as they come. So to borrow from Big Diesel - biological do matter.

However simply being born with some inherent "gay" traits does not a homosexual person make. A significant contributor has to be nurture. I'm too lazy to look up the various websites but Greek society such as Sparta encouraged homosexual behavior amongst its soldiers, and even modern Greeks probably have some of the most tolerant attitudes regarding. Also something about absence of a male or female parental figure for the female and male child causes greater likelihood of same-sex liking comes to mind.

Along with that nurture part, the 3rd piece would have to be personal choice. The few bisexual people I know (I live in SF area) all admit that they got into it just because they thought "why not". The same was the case of quite a few of the lesbians who I encountered in the Smith/MHC college area.

So from a rational argument pov I think individuals have _some_ control on their sexual orientation but the alternative lifestyle is definitely not a 100% matter of choice.

Anyway, all of the above is immaterial in US society. Now from an Islamic perspective, homosexual acts are clearly immoral and that is why I wouldn't engage in it. However it is not for me to judge those who indulge in it. Our maker knows and sees all and HE will adjudicate on those matters. As long as a certain lifestyle is not imposed on me - I don't care.