View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 01:12 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepanjan
The idea was also to see if not playing tests really helps BD focus on T20 and ODIs to come up the ranks. My friends in Ireland tell me that each of their player plays for some English county, even if second XI, do you think the Bangladesh players take such an initiative to play in first class set up of Sri Lanka or India? A prime example of maintaining a good first class cricket structure is South Africa. Despite not playing cricket for years they quickly rebuilt after re-admission.
Ireland players have it easy due to their proximity and association with English system for a long time. But its hard for a BD player to get a chance in English county leagues. You need to be extremely good or have recommendation (see Junaid Khan/Wasim Akram). Only Shakib after years and years of proven record got a chance in Worcs. But you have other players (Enam jnr, Ashraful, Bulbul) who played in less competitive local leagues.

Overall, BD plays only a handful of tests each year. There is no way to judge a player based on these few performances and that's why England/India or even SL domestic teams don't consider them. They have an abundance of local players and thus have no need to get players from BD. So our players are starved of competitive cricket and that results in poor performance. So you see, its a vicious loop.

Going back to your original argument, Zimbabwe took a break for a lot of reasons. Incompetent board, player contract resulting in exodus, political situation, and almost bankrupt board. BD don't have any of those issues in that magnitude. In fact, BCB made more money than NZ and SL board last year. 2nd fan base in terms of population after India (excluding Pak as they don't play in home anymore) and etc.

The performances will pick up. FC is little more competitive now and they also introduced another 4 day tournament called BCL. Just give it some time.

Finally, if BD is excluded from international cricket, then trust me cricket won't succeed or expand anywhere else in the world.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....m-akram-866215