View Single Post
Old November 26, 2006, 11:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
TBH, I think NTV is the first and only Bangladeshi channel so far that seems fair and balanced in its news reporting and coverage of all political parties and events. Even some pro-AL people I know agree in that respect. That's why I asked. Since you haven't watched a 'great deal' of NTV, you can't be sure the "same's happening to BD". It's your preconceived notion.

Besides, the bias of those international media outlets you speak of are far more significant, because what Americans see/hear/read and believe consequentially affect the whole world. The difference is even if the media is biased, Bangladeshis are already and constantly aware of the corruption and political chaos happening in the country.
Great. Agreed.

Honestly speaking, I still think it'll apply anywhere in this world. When you see the news coverage as a whole, and not independently, you should be able to see the difference. Of course, this is somewhat subjective, coz you can only decide by yourself whether you think they're biased or not. From what it sounds Nasif bhai's in agreement with you. Since I haven't watched NTV before, I can't debate with you about it.

About my preconceived notion, I am right about it. I've read tons of materials on mass media and mass communications. So from my knowledge, this is the norm. That's why I mention about alternative media, which thinks of itself as independent and unbiased.

You're right about one thing. North American media has its effects internationally. But BD media has its impact on local people...and the nation as a whole. So you're right about the impact, but you should agree that the bias still has its impact.

And finally, only you feeling that NTV is biased is not the whole thing. You might be surprised to see how many americans believe CNN gives proper news coverage. Just showing coverage about all parties doesn't get them the "MOST TRUSTED" stamp like CNN has earned.