View Single Post
Old September 2, 2012, 11:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
He was the best. Just blurt it out. No need to even mention the word politics. Yes, he had headed down the path of dictatorship with BAKSAL, but I always thought Bd needed a benevolent dictator like Bongobondhu to succeed. After Muhammad Ali, I would have to place him as my 2nd hero.

Keep it 100,

Roey
The subject of "benevolent dictatorship" was exhaustively discussed in a couple of threads (HERE and HERE) and I have neither the time nor the desire to repeat those posts. Do read them once you have the time. But I will go ahead and say a couple of things:

1. The term dictatorship by definition denotes the ability to exercise absolute power without being subjected to any regularly scheduled and lawful measure of popular accountability, especially in a civilized society where individual liberty is nurtured and preserved by its popularly mandated Constitution. That sort of absolute power corrupts absolutely. HISTORY rather than half-baked theories and delusions has clearly demonstrated in the modern world where facts are more accurately reported and extrapolated. The concept of a "benevolent dictator" is an oxymoron guaranteed to do more harm than good, period. Real democratic reform is needed when a democratic process such as ours in Bangladesh is subverted by opportunists and tyrants, NOT a dictatorship in any way, shape or form. That would be like throwing the baby out with the dirty bathwater, and therefore not only evil and criminal, but also irretrievably stupid. Real democratic reforms, especially within our challenging context, take time and each one of us can either sit on the fence to bitch and moan and stroke ourselves endlessly, or do whatever we can to become a part of that long and arduous process worth the patience and wisdom we must demonstrate in our work. At least now our people get their voices heard every 5 years as they continue to mature as an electorate.

2. I find the elitist psychology behind the desire to unilaterally exercise power over others without the possibility of role reversal, all too often under the egomaniacal assumption that "it's for their own good" categorically problematic, utterly repugnant, and in serious need of decisive engagement. These folks, in my opinion, need therapy and meds, not a state with an army and police. Such despicable characters have been repeatedly defeated by the Bangladeshi people and will always be InshAllah. We don't do dictatorships here and find the idea that a bunch of deeply delusional mental patients know how to improve the lives WE, not they live, totally asinine and worthy of the proverbial bamboo when necessary.

3. Check the facts, not handed down assumptions and conjectures, and you'll see that there was NOTHING good or justifiable about BAKSAL. It was a time of betraying the Spirit of 1971 as defined by our 1972 Constitution, extrajudicial murder and incarceration of political opponents, censorship, corruption and nepotism. My own family (Shirazul Alam Khan, ASM Abdur Rab, Md Abdur Rahim, Begum Yasmeen Khanam etc) was victimized by the tyranny as were many of our close friends, ALL veteran freedom fighters and pro Independence activists. That being said, we remain loyal to the party because we firmly believe in what it stands for even when many of its leaders clearly don't. We will never abandon those principles and the political party, the party that led us to our independent Bangladesh, responsible for their codification. The party is bigger than any of its leaders, and the country is bigger than any of her political parties.

"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; September 3, 2012 at 03:08 AM..