View Single Post
Old June 3, 2008, 02:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
I looked up on the net and one site says you can get jailed for 15 years for possessing drugs in Dubai. Because he isn't an Arab or Westerner, chances are he'll cop the full 15.

In that case he has bigger things to worry about not what PCB might do to him. In 15 years time his country will most likely be run over by Talibans and cricket there will be history in no time.
Reality is a little different. Laws are different for the common man and foreign celebrities.

An Indian actor called Raza was arrested in Dubai airport on similar charges. India successfully brought him back though he spent more than a month in Dubai jail.

The only reason charges have not been pressed on Asif is that he is a foreign celebrity. You are the airport authority who finds a star, Asif in possession of illegal drugs. You know the seriousnesses of the case and you know the kind of diplomatic pressure that will be involved in this case. But you cant let him off with the drugs as that is a serious crime. So what do you do? You arrest him but dont press charges giving time to the two governments time to resolve the issue. If your government does not bow to pressure from Pakistan, you press charges. If your government does not want to spoil their relationship with Pakistan, he is immediately deported to his country. Simple.

I think he will get off in a month max.