Thread: 200* vs 194
View Single Post
Old February 27, 2010, 11:43 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

A few things amazed me about Tendulkar's 200. When I watched the highlights of that inning, I couldn't help but marvel at the man's batting genius. I liked it all. The timing, placement, perfect defence, the balance between attack and defence, the unassuming way he treated each ball, belligerence puntuated with artistic clips off the pads. It was pure magic.

Tendulkar deserves praise for being the first to reach the landmark of 200 in 50 overs cricket. Achieving a double hundred in any format is not an easy feat, just ask Jaques Kallis. Tying and breaking records take lot of mental strength and self belief. Tendulkar showed a lot of courage in not opting for a runner despite visible cramps when most people in his place would have asked for one at the first sign of cramp. I was glad to see him run for all his runs.

I beg to differ slightly with those who said Saeed Anwar was not a great player. Saeed Anwar in the ODI format, (50 overs contest) should be seen as one of the great (top 10) batsmen of his era. While he was still playing he had the second highest number of centuries before retiring prematurely. The hallmark of great player according to me in addition to being consistent, should also include the ability to assert dominance over all opposition at all time. Saeed did it consistently in ODIs against all opposition for a significant period of time.

My ODI best batsmen ranking:

1) Tendulkar
2) Viv Richards
3) Sanath Jayasuriya
4) Ponting
5) Lara (others above have accomplished more in ODIs)
6) Gilchrist
7) Hayden
8) Saeed Anwar
9) Inzi
10)Bevan