View Single Post
Old October 2, 2007, 05:28 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
the proof is that even within respected "authentic" books like sahih al bukhari you have contradictory hadith.

personally, to me it matters little if the hadith i read was actually said by the prophet (saw) or not. what is of utmost importance is if the said hadith is in accordance with the spirit of the quran. if it is then it should be accepted and if not then it should be rejected.
Couldn't agree more. It has recently become very transparent to me these contradictions exist in hadith, especially al-Bukhari.

Quote:
FROM SAHIH BUKHARI - VOLUME 9, #506:

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri that during the battle with Bani Al-Mustaliq they (Muslims) captured some females and intended to have sexual relations with them without impregnating them. So they asked the prophet about coitus interruptus. The prophet said, "It is better that you should not do it, for Allah has written whom He is going to create till the Day of Resurrection". Qaza'a said, "I heard Abu Said saying that the prophet said, "No soul is ordained to be created but Allah will create it."
1. The meaning can be lost in translation. First of all, does the above hadith imply "forced" sexual intercourse? Would intercourse under any cirumstance be permitted before marriage? Was the Prophet (PBUH) fully aware of under what circumstances the question about "coitus interruptus" was asked to him?

2. There is too many "I heard him say that person saying this". It creates confusion, loses the authencity, meaning and intent of the original statement, if it was made at all.

3. Non-Muslims often use the hadith as concrete proof to argue "questionable" acts in Islam, but it may contradict another hadith in the same book, or because there is/there is no explicit mention in the Qu'ran that contradicts the hadith.

So who is to blame? How to counter these contradictions?

Last edited by Hatebreed; October 2, 2007 at 05:34 PM..