View Single Post
Old March 12, 2006, 12:59 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Quote:
Originally posted by Rubu
I don't know we would win 4-0 or not, but we SHOULD, no doubt about that. kenya is no match for us anymore, and we need to prove that. but again, we are the one who lost to canada, and that is the reason I can't say we will win all 4 for sure.
Mentally this team towers over the team that played the 2003 world cup.

The pace trio we have now+Aftab, give us the trump card that we didn't have then.

I can't wait for the series. I don't know why you guys are so afraid. Don't think like the 2003 world cup players.
Reminding me of the HORROR of WC '03. The Darkest Day in the history of Bangladesh Cricket.

The captain of that match Pilot showed awesome talent in how to make his team lose. I watched that match ball-by-ball twice and I am still convinced Pilot wanted BD to lose that. Here is why:

1. During Kenya Innings, Manjarul Islam and Tapash bowled beautifully .. they had overs left and yet Pilot bowled Ashraful for 4/5 overs in the last 15. Bowling figures in the end was,

Bowling O M R W
Manjural Islam 7 0 30 1 (5w)
Tapash Baisya 8 1 22 1 (1w)
Khaled Mahmud 10 1 39 1 (4w)
Mohammad Rafique 7 0 35 1
Sanwar Hossain 10 0 49 3 (1w)
Alok Kapali 2 0 9 0
Mohammad Ashraful 6 0 30 0

Why use your part time bowler when your main strike bowlers were bowling beautifully and had overs left?

2. Pilot dropped a few (At least 2) easy Catch/Stumping chances during the Kenyan Innings and with his high standard of keeping, anybody who follows BD matches would raise an eyebrow.

3. The way Pilot got out that match was also suspicius. Although BD batsmen have the tendency and record of getting out to nicks .... somehow that particular day Pilots dismissal did not look good .. espacially the way he was batting.

I remember that BCB (The BCCB) had a board of inquiry against Pilot and he received warning from the board for his actions in that particular match. I personally felt that March 01, 2003 BD Vs. KEN is a parfect example of how one person single handedly can make his team lose a match.

One should not think that I hate Pilot or something. I still believe he is the greatest w/k in Bangladesh and there is nothing to complain about him. His batting is also very good when comared with the performace of the other team members. I think I have made several postings about this.

My point is we should not even consider that '03 BD-KEN macth as a defeat.

This time, my only hope is that Bashar will be fit enough to captain the team for all the 4 matches. Despite his lack of killing instincts, he usually follows the norms and never fails to use his best bowlers when they are doing good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Details including ball-by-ball commentry of this match and all other Pool-B matches of WC 03 can be found at http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...ECARDS/POOL-B/