View Single Post
Old June 9, 2008, 12:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Salaam bro,
That is your perception. Mine is Aftab can only play the #4 type. He is trying to learn the #1. Ash can play #1 and #4. He has long way to go to learn #2 and #3 in ODIs. The one who can play all for is Mohammad Yusuf. If you want to compare then compare with the standard.
no doubt yousuf is a class act, but perhaps tendulkar is the ultimate batting paragon. i am sure tendu has had 1,2,3,4 gear ability as well. yousuf might have, but he seems to be a guy who stays in 2-3 gear 95% of the time.

certainly ash has 4 gear capability, sohel bhai will vouch for that. but i think aftab has that too. its a matter of management and situation and desire to dominate. we put aftab in at #3, and because of one opener getting out inside 5 overs 99% if the time, it makes aftab a de facto opener. he goes in with the license to exploit the power plays, and has a hard time settling down afterwards. he will learn with some more time. we don't have the domestic setup others do, where everything can be learned at domestic or A team level. the Test/ODI arena IS our classroom. and is the unfortunate thing.

but i am completely willing to pay that price for the ultimate goal. i had no real problems watching yesterday's match. in fact i was rooting for ash to not play stupid and to remain unbeaten. that innings didn't bother me.

#OneTeam1Dream