View Single Post
Old May 4, 2015, 01:57 PM
BC Editorial Team

There is now a new school of coaching which recommends your dominant hand should be the top hand. Michael Clarke, Shaun Marsh, Chris Gayle are all right handed. They were coached to be left sided batsmen so that they'd have power and control on their top hand. To that end, I've got my middle son (7.5yrs), who's a predominant leftie, be taught to bat right-sided. His drives and cuts are now really starting to click. Me personally, when I started cricket, I wanted to be like Imran Khan. Even though I'm a leftie and bowl left-arm, I forced myself to be right-handed. From 7th grade to O-levels I always batted right-handed and was decent. Then a light bulb went on and I said, why am I not using by god-given leftiness. So in the break between O's and A-level classes, I worked on becoming a left-sided batter. Many years later, I'm now a predominantly left-handed batsmen, but on tennis-ball cricket can actually still switch and bat the other way. Going by the baseball example, I think the whole left-hand, right-hand batter distinction is only going to get blurrier with time. As it is, batters like Warner and Pieterson could do quite well by flipping their batting sides.

On topic - I do believe it's just a weird coincidence. West Indies, a few years ago had all lefties too.